Sunday, January 31, 2010

Trip to Ávila

Hello All,

My wonderful "vacation" continues...
Actually, last week was a pretty uneventful week. I mean, of course I'm in Spain so it's always exciting but compared to the last few weeks there wasn't too much going on, besides me fighting a sore throat and runny nose. I met up with some of the Spanish students who I've had intercambios with to get coffee and chat, and have had a little more homework lately too. I feel that I'm getting accustomed to the language but still have a lot of learning to do.



This weekend we had no trips planned so some of us decided to go to Avila, which is a city of about 50,000 people about an hour south of Salamanca. The town is known for it's medieval city walls that were constructed in 1090. The city is also the birthplace of Santa Teresa and holds a lot of history about her. Overall it was a very nice day trip (despite the cold weather in the morning--maybe I'm getting used to this "mild" Spain winter?).


None of us really knew anything about the city or what there was to do but between wandering around and trying to talk to locals (I felt like every person we encountered was a tourist), we kept ourselves busy. Also, one thing that has made my list of "You know you're in Spain when..." is "You know you're in Spain when you see more animals being worn on people than anywhere else." See picture below.


Yesterday I spent some time planning out trip to Porto, Portugal which is next weekend. There's a lot to plan for between travel, hostels, and things to do. But I'm really excited to go and look forward to traveling out of the country for the first time. Porto is known for the internationally famous "port wine" and also it's location along the Douro river near the coast. It should be a fun trip and I and can just about imagine the looks that we will receive when we forget we're not in Spain and try to speak Spanish. Apparently the Portuguese don't appreciate being talked to in Spanish ;)



So hopefully I'll be back next time with some fun stories from Portugal. This is the point in my trip where things start to get busy, as I'll most likely be traveling somewhere almost every weekend in the coming month. So I guess I'll just sit back, and start enjoying the ride :)
I hope everything is wonderful for those of you back home. Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you wish, I'd love to hear from you.

Hasta Luego!
Nicolas

No comments:

Post a Comment