Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Getting Adjusted

For the past week I’ve gotten a chance to learn more about Salamanca and it’s history, culture, and points of interest. I’ve settled in to what my day-to-day life is going to look like for the next 3 months, and I will say that I’m liking how it looks.

This past weekend we took a culture tour of the city of Salamanca. We learned about the history city and the university. The fact that the University was founded in 1218 is pretty amazing. Also, the fact that I got be in a “classroom” that was used in the 14th century was pretty unbelievable (apparently before they had seats in the room the students would sit on the floor, but since it’s so cold in Salamanca, the students’ servants would sit on the floor before class to warm up the seats :) We also took a tour of the two cathedrals of Salamanca, and some of the older University buildings. The amount of history and culture in the town seems endless, and it makes me glad that I chose to study here even more.


On Sunday we were planning to go to the market but it was raining and we decided to go to the Plaza Mayor instead where we found out there was a protest going on about a bank merger. We chatted with some Salmantinos about it which was quite enjoyable.
This week it’s been class, homework (we actually get homework? what kind of vacation is this?), and eating lots of good food. I’ve also started meeting with Spanish students of the University in what we call intercambios. We set up a time to meet up and get coffee and practice our Spanish/English. It’s basically like blind dating (or a box of chocolates), pretty awkward but gets better. But I really do think it will be beneficial for me to get some one-on-one practice with native speakers.

I’ve been venturing off during my 1-hour break between classes to explore the city and found some pretty amazing places. It’s unbelievable how many shops, cafe’s, and bars there are in Salamanca. Also, with a short trip across the river at the edge of town you get views of the city like pictured below.

This weekend I’m heading to Madrid to meet up with Ike. I’ve seen a lot of Madrid already but I had one of my “Estoy en Espana” moments where I realize that money and hassle shouldn’t hold me back from traveling and seeing all that I can see (and I figured a mini-trip would be good travel practice with the bus system). Upon my return our Senora will be preparing Paella which is one of the most well-known Spanish dishes, and considering what my host mom has cooked already, I expect nothing short of SCRUMPTIOUS.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good. Getting used to things a bit and enjoying my time here in Salamanca so far. I think some of the culture shock is starting to wear off a bit as well. I'm looking forward to some trips coming up and becoming more comfortable with the language thing. Until next time..

‘ta luego,

Nico

1 comment:

  1. wow Nico you are an amazing fotografo. Seriously I want that picture of Salamanca from across the puente framed and in my room! (Oh, sorry about the obnoxious Spanglish in this comment... sometimes it can't be helped.)

    ReplyDelete